I’m going to be the requisite bad cop, the Grand Highblood if you will, to Kay’s general good cop and be the bearer of unfortunate news.
If we don’t get the money we need for Triviastuck from people who plan on going, Triviastuck will be cancelled and, moreover, I’ll be pushing strongly to immediately cancel Promstuck.
No exceptions. Test me if you think I’m kidding.
I love Cantown, but we’re not magical event fairies. We don’t have a lot of money. If you think you’re broke, that’s just peanuts compared to the hole we’re in and, despite that, Kay puts long hours and a substantial amount of our minute discretionary income into these charity events. I’ve seen scores of complaints that the events aren’t free or cheap enough, but even events that are free for attendees aren’t free for us. As much as people say they appreciate the effort Kay puts in, what I’ve seen is a lot of people who take these events for granted.
That’s why there aren’t going to be any more. That is, there won’t if you don’t cough up some dough.
This money doesn’t go to line our pockets. Quite the opposite - every cent you pay plus our own money goes directly to the event. They aren’t free - you have to help make it happen. Otherwise, it’ll be over just as suddenly as it started.
We pay the deposits, we spend money out of pocket for the website, Kay spends time updating the event notices, checking the finances, negotiating with the venues, apologizing for coming up short, talking with parents, plus the responsibility with planning and making sure events that seem fun and effortless for you come off without a hitch. We do it because we love it and care about bringing Homestucks together, but what we tend to get out it are anxiety attacks and headaches.
If you think you can do it for free, give it a shot. If you just want to hang out, do it on your own time. But if you want elaborately planned events, we just don’t have time to wait and fret about if people are going to pay. We need this money ahead of time. We cannot afford the deposits and I refuse to help pay a deposit for Cantown and find out we’re short again.
Cantown will be done. Over. We’ll take all the money we’ve been paying out of pocket, go down to Aldi and buy 80 cans of food, and roll on down to the food pantry ourselves. It might be less than we’re getting from Cantown, but it’s easier, quicker, arguably cheaper, and it doesn’t take up half of our living room and kitchen for a month. If that’s what you want, pinch your pennies, but if you want fun events, you better pony up, otherwise you get to see just how serious I am about this.
I don’t want it to come down to this, guys.
I’m desperately struggling to get a small business off the ground. Weston’s working in a goddamn warehouse. On top of that, we’re on food stamps and trying to plan our wedding, which we only get to have because my parents want one.
Our own ability to eat has got to come first. We can’t keep footing the bill and having people back out.
Get serious. Stop procrastinating.
This takes up a huge amount of time from my life, and while it’s incredibly rewarding, it’s also incredibly stressful, and I can’t say that I don’t think about how much easier my life would be if I wasn’t running it.
I DO NOT WANT DONATIONS TO US. I just want you to actually pay your admission costs on time, and stick to what you say you’re going to do. I am sick of looking like an idiot when a bunch of people swear they’re gonna show up and then don’t.
There’s no free lunch.
- ankous-callux likes this
- turncoatrunaround likes this
- anshiel reblogged this from t0uchy
- nerdofnerds likes this
- princess-saves-herself reblogged this from cantownstlouis
- littlemisshaleybug reblogged this from broadwaylucifer
- littlemisshaleybug likes this
- broadwaylucifer reblogged this from actuallyface
- t0uchy reblogged this from cantownstlouis
- jarofbittersweets reblogged this from cantownstlouis
- pterosaxyl likes this
- curiousdevice reblogged this from cantownstlouis and added:
- weebofficial reblogged this from himemiyaa
- nicedynamites reblogged this from luapin
- seifernoir reblogged this from elendraug
- twistedcalamity reblogged this from luapin
- hanukkahjamboree likes this
- ihavestardustinmyeye reblogged this from elendraug
- zoop-dewoop reblogged this from cantownstlouis
- himemiyaa reblogged this from cantownstlouis and added:
- elendraug reblogged this from cantownstlouis
- luapin reblogged this from cantownstlouis
- thanatos02 submitted this to cantownstlouis