Okay I caved and created a GoFundMe page. I had the realization last night that I do not just need money for my dorm at this point— I have to make a 400.00 deposit fee THIS WEEK and bc my parents do not have the money, my mom is trying to sell her heirloom jewelry (something I really really do not want her to do). Please consider donating even just a dollar and please spread this as I am desperate at this point!!!
- Donate money to have those arrested in Ferguson released on bail. These people belong on the streets, especially at a time like this.
- Send a note of condolence to the family of Michael Brown. Let’s not forget the tragedy that started this.
- Donate to the Michael Brown Memorial Fund. This is an official fundraiser run by the Brown family’s lawyers. They are going through so much, lets make sure at the very least it isn’t a financial burden.
- Help get people on the ground. There are activists and reporters who want to do their part and get to Ferguson. Donate and get them there. I am so far aware of Zellie Imani, Zak Jemmott, and JR Valrey (a reporter for SF Bay View).
- Donate to the Ferguson Youth Initiative.The children of this community deserve better than to be gunned down. Make sure they get that in the future.
- Feed the children of Ferguson. Many children in America rely on school to get their meals and thanks to the civil unrest caused by the police, the children of Ferguson have been without school since Monday. These people want to make sure that doesn’t mean anyone is going hungry.
- Find a National Moment of Silence in your area. If one doesn’t exist, start one. Share this experience with others. Solidarity is important.
- Keep awareness up. Not just among the like-minded people on tumblr, this is something everyone needs to be aware of.
- Spread accurate information. There is a lot of distortion going on here and spreading every piece of information as it is reported only makes that worse. First and foremost make sure you are listening carefully, then share what is important and relevant.
If you are aware of any good causes or ways to help that I have missed, please reblog and add them.
A quick count has us at $50 cash and around 20 items (including 40 individual rolls of toilet paper)! Well done, guys!
Thank you so much to everyone who attended today! We hope you had fun! Results of the collection will be up tonight.
We are entering the zoo on the south entrance; post to Facebook or send an ask but we may not be able to find you
Please come to the bridge, on the south parking lot side. Once everyone’s together we’ll take donations to Weston’s car and then proceed into the zoo. Anyone with my number may call me for extra info or PM me for it
Megan has kindly donated tickets to the children’s zoo for whoever brings the most donations!
Be advised that there were protesters at the Clayton Justice Center yesterday; you may wish to take alternate routes in case the area is congested. We anticipate Forest Park being completely safe. If you are driving from North County, please be safe and use your best judgment.
St. Louis is hurting a lot right now and there’s a lot of pain on my dash. I want all of you to know that organizing Can Town events with the help and support of this amazing, generous, kind community we’ve built has become a tremendous source of strength in my life, and given me a sense of purpose to combat the feelings of helplessness I otherwise stagnate in when things get really rough.
We can’t change the world but we’re making a real impact in feeding a few more hungry people, and that’s important.
I love you guys and I’m honored to be a part of this. Stay safe, all of you, and know that you are loved.